Sunday, February 24, 2008

Second Life Server Issue


(almost empty dancepad area after server failure)
HippiePay is one of the most visited spots in SL. Since joining SL, I have twice exeprienced what looks to be either an attack on the island or a server failure:

symptom:


  • everyone on dancing pads or other kinds of poseballs suddenly get ejected from the system ( i.e. signed out)

  • if you are one of the first to realize and sign back in, there is no one there

  • then you discover the system has retained memory of everyone's earning - the money is there with no owner to claim it!

  • if you sit on any of those poseballs you get money, you also commit what it called "ball-hopping, some people were confused while others are intentionally taking the chance to profit

  • hippiepay (or anywhere else) bans you

I was almost banned the first time this happened ( I was signed out and then I didn't know what's going on), I managed to argue this through with a "helper" and get my earnings back. This second time I saw hippiepay helpers cruising the island catching people "ball hopping" and sitting to collect the money themselves ( persumably to prevent others from doing so and to hand over the money later).


No one has been willing to tell me what issue this server is experiencing, perhaps as a commercial hub they fear the publicity will decrease the value of their land.


HippiePay never compensates those whose money got erased from such accidents, even though I would persume that the system would have a record of who is on which pose ball, at least for a short period of time. (evidence is if you get up and try to get back on the same pose ball it tells you to change to another one)


it would be interesting to know whether the different land owners in SL shares a server provided by LindenLab or have one of their own.

1 comment:

Jim Morey said...

Interesting. Glitches in paradise. I'm glad you didn't get baned.